Friday, April 11, 2008

A benefit this eve...


I have discussed on this platform before regarding my involvement in resource groups that provide information and support to survivors of rape and sexual assault. The reasons for my involvement are simple, I have had too many friends who have been either raped, sexually assaulted, or abused. My involvement started in 1995 following a year in which both a friend and my girlfriend were raped. Nothing stops your adolescent world like information like this. Even though I wasn't the victim (or survivor) of these attacks, it effected me in ways I never thought possible. I became more angry than I have ever been in my life, and had to carry around this hatred for the final semester of my senior year in high school. I honestly didn't know what to do with the information I was given. I conceived of every possible way to get revenge on those responsible for those attacks. But I never stepped over that line. And I'm glad I didn't. I turned that horrible energy into a positive and worked at the Women's Center at the University of Missouri, where I gave programs to various men's groups, in the dorms, at fraternities and the MU football team.

After four years of working programs with the Women Center, I stepped away. Work like that is very difficult, because every time I would tell my story, I would be reliving that time period. Of course it got easier with every program, but nevertheless it was difficult. So after a few years of very little involvement I am happy to be back in the effort to help the community serving on the Men as Allies Committee, a satellite board of the Shelter. The Shelter provides resources, support, and facilities to women and children who are victims and survivors of domestic abuse or sexual assault. For years the Shelter has been trying to reach out to men in the community to help educate men's groups in hopes of ending violence against women.

This evening The Blue Note will be hosting a benefit concert for the Shelter featuring The Record Collector and Videology. This concert is one of the many events taking place in the community as part of Sexual Assault Awareness Month. Both the Shelter and the MU Women's Center have programs and events to help raise awareness and educate the public on rape and sexual assault in our community. The statistics are staggering (1 in 4 women will report being sexually assaulted in their life time). 100% of the ticket sales will go to The Shelter and the many programs and services they provide our community.

The Record Collector is considered a "Soul Revue" band, meaning they cover songs in the key of soul from the 60's and 70's. The 12-piece puts on a spectacular show with spot on covers and very high energy, with the additional visuals from Videology this show is easily worth the price of admission.

1 comment:

Sara Stogner said...

Hi Billy!

(I'm a big fan of your blog and music)

This post reminded me that I have some friends who are interested in volunteering with the Men as Allies committee. I was wondering who is best to contact for them to get involved?

Thanks for your help!

Sara