Tuesday, April 22, 2008

SCORE! part two: Home Run Derby Results from Sunday April, 20, 2008

so not only was sunday "4/20" day, "dudes", but it was the annual earth day celebration in down town columbia. part of elm, eighth, and seventh street are closed off for the crowds this events attracts.

i saw some predatory birds at the raptor rehab booth, i ran into my friend zac at the prism booth, and was embarrassed by friend barb at the MU Extension Office booth (she asked a colleague of hers if she had any single friends who would be interested in me. could i not appear more desperate?)

after that exchange i moved on to look around at the rest of the festival. i really like walking through this event solo, it grounds me with columbia again. it reminds me that there is a really great community outside of the three-headed university system that calls this town their home as well...

with the day being picture perfect, another round of Home Run Derby had to happen, and well... the following statistics are completely accurate:

Billy (3-0) - 58

Justin McCrady (0-3) - 29

Luke Buffaloe (0-1) - 17

Jason McCrady (0-1) - 6*

Justin Nardy (0-3) - 2

* Jason left after the fourth inning for work...

so i was in the zone the entire game averaging just under 7 home runs per inning, and pretty much clinching the win by the fifth inning. McCrady kept it real close until the third inning, he had about three consecutive innings of one or two home runs early. there wasn't much trash talking here, especially not when i'm doubling up the score... Buffaloe (5/8 Dr. Buffaloe) was our first purebred southpaw, and got somewhat of a slow start, but towards the last few innings he found his rhythm and made us rethink how we are going to set up the ball park. as it stands the the fence and what not faces the righty who pulls the ball. jason mccrady, had to leave early, but his at bats were quality ones, you could project that he would out hit his brother justin had he stayed in the game. okay i don't know that for sure, but he would have been contending for that second spot. just nardy enjoyed tying his season high of two. well i don't know if he enjoyed it, but i enjoyed it atleast.

2 comments:

comoprozac said...

More shout-outs! Woo-hoo!

I just have to say that I hate hippies, drum circles, and patchouli and I'm not afraid to admit it.

My Name is Bird said...

it's kind of bullshit really, this whole home run derby. I never played baseball as a kid, except for a year of tee ball. I hated having the ball thrown at me. I have a disadvantage. I might also mention that Billy Schuh's home runs are so high in the numbers due to my perfect pitches for home run derby's. I don't try to strike people out or throw shit people can't hit, because i think it is about fun and hitting as many as possible. I really do think part of it is in the pitcher. McCrady pitches like shit, thus i hit fewer homeruns. I can't pitch to myself, not saying i would beat you, but i think i should be getting more than 2 a game. Not sure how many more of these i have in me.