Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Let's-go Base-ball! (clap,clap, clap-clap-clap)



i don't mix words when it comes for my love of baseball.

i'm a total nerd about

"your honor, the prosecution would like to enter State's evidence A and B:"

- State's Evidence exhibit A: one fantasy baseball team at yahoo.com
- State's Evidence exhibit B: one fantasy baseball team at espn.com

"if the defense has no objections i will allow"

now just because i have these two fantasy baseball teams doesn't mean i'm up to par with every stat of every second or third year player in the league, but i am getting myself back into the mode of watching a nine-inning game on television. tough stuff to do when my mind is overanalyzing every part of my life. here are some examples of my thoughts during my participation of a televised baseball game:

- man i really love this Grillers Prime veggie burger. i might like it more than Boca burgers.
- i wish i could find two socks that match, not that there isn't a charm to having one grey sock and one beige sock, but c'mon i should keep at least one thing in my life consistent.
- do you think she like-likes me or just likes me? man i hope its that first one, because i am tired of that second one, not that i mind being just friends, but man can i get something to fall my way a bit?! oh i'm such a loser...
- where did the remote go?
- when is heroes going to start up again? i felt cheated last season, but my love for the show is unconditional.
- i miss apple fruit rollups
- i really hate purse dogs

so again, when given the opportunity my mind will wander around in some of the farthest regions of my head. (yes that does make sense)

this year my team, the st. louis cardinals have exceeded expectations. honestly this year is still considered to be a building year, but the team that is taking the field has gelled nicely. rick ankiel continues to make one of the greatest comebacks in major league history, pujols is continuing to look like his elbow is healthy, and the starting pitching is performing well.



the problems are in the late inning action. the middle relief staff is struggling and it is making the games a little more exciting than they need to be. additionally they don't have a whole lot of depth on the bench. the cardinals need some more consistency to protect leads late in the game.

as you can see i have some idea of what is going on in baseball. and this has been a constant in my life. when i was eight i used to tape myself doing play by play of the cardinals broadcasts. i would turn down the volume on the television set and do the entire play-by-play. i realized later that my voice never changed its pitch after age nine. so instead, i sing and get mistaken for a woman when i order food at the drive through... go figure.

so as april wraps up i look forward to torturing myself with the up and down season the cardinals will provide for me for the rest of the summer.

anybody want to play catch!?

3 comments:

comoprozac said...

Dude, I'd play catch.

GE said...

The Cardinals are a big surprise so far this year, and as much as I hate them (Mets fan), the Ankiel sotryline is interesting. Plus, Pujols is on my fantasy team. Can you believe he was still around in the 2nd round?

BillySchuh said...

the metsssss, eh? i will say this in the 80s when the cards and mets were in the same division, we had a very big rivalry.

however since we parted ways, i no longer feel the mets are "pond scum". look i live in missouri (misery to zac) and i have to say that the marketing campaign was made my family look like a bunch hillbillies... i was born in NYC our entire extended family lives in queens and the much more affluent area of westchester (fancy, fancy) anyway, they are mostly mets fans, but seriously during 85, 86, and 87 when the rivalry was at its peak, we came off looking like a bunch of idiots. "hey y'all, yer team is pond scum! yee-haw!!!"

(i still wince and shake my head at those days...)

by the way, i hate how fantasy baseball has made me change how i watch the game. i think that is why i stay out of the football leagues...